Thursday, July 24, 2008

Right now I am home in Virginia preparing to leave to philadelphia to go visit my grandparents for possibly the last time. For anyone who doesn't know I have been assigned to the Dominican Republic, a country that shares the border with Haiti. Right now I have mixed feelings, obviously i am excited, but i am also a bit apprehensive. Despite what some people might think I am not going away on a two year vacation to some tropical island. Instead I am going to be spending the next two years of my life living in a third world country as its habitants do working, socializing, and living among them. It should be quite an experience. I will try my best to keep some sort of regular contact but access to internet will be inconsistent at best (no internet! he must be roughing it). I have no doubt the experience will be life changing and I cannot wait to see what happens.

2 comments:

Wen said...

If it's anything like City Year, which I'm sure it's even harder, I'm sure you'll find some funky fun in between work and meeting new friends. I'm really jealous. I still have another year of school left in me.

Lpearls said...

Thanks for the pictures. Its great to see your DR family and where you work and play. Dad